A phase III multicenter, randomized study comparing consolidation with (90)Yttrium-Labeled Ibritumomab Tiuxetan (Zevalin®) Radioimmunotherapy vs Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation (ASCT) in patients with relapsed/refractory follicular lymphoma (FL) aged 18-65 years
Obiettivi, struttura e articolazione dello Studio
Disegno dello Studio
Multicenter open label phase III randomized trial
STEP I: Induction
Three courses standard dose rituximab-chemotherapy (R-CHOP, R-DHAP, R-FM, R-ICE, R-IEV or R-Bendamustine)
STEP II: Randomization
Patients achieving at least PR will be randomized either to RIT (arm A) or ASCT (arm B)
STEP III: Stem cell mobilization
All patients will receive Ara-C and rituximab, followed by stem cell collection (aim of collecting 6x106 CD34+ cells/kg) A second mobilization with plerixafor will be allowed for patients that experience a mobilization failure after Ara-C (both arms).
STEP IV: Consolidation
- ARM A (RIT): infusion of 90Y Ibritumomab Tiuxetan if the patient has less than 25% BM infiltration at the pre-consolidation restaging.
- ARM B (ASCT): BEAM conditioning regimen (or in alternative FEAM regimen) and reinfusion of CD34+ cells. G-CSF until ANC>1500/mmc.
STEP V: Maintenance
Rituximab every three months for eight courses to all patients (starting three months after consolidation).
STEP VI: Follow-up Phase
The follow-up phase will continue until month 36 from randomization or until study end.
To compare RIT with (90)Y Ibritumomab Tiuxetan (Zevalin®) vs. ASCT in terms of PFS from randomization.
- To compare OS;
- To compare EFS from randomization and from enrollment and PFS from enrollment and TFS;
- To compare CR rate and ORR;
- To compare toxicity in both arms during induction, consolidation and maintenance;
- To compare quality of life in both arms during treatment and follow-up;
- To compare the cost-effectiveness of RIT vs. ASCT;
- To compare the activity of RIT vs. ASCT on MRD assessed using the Bcl2/IgH translocation in both nested PCR and real time quantitative PCR;
- To assess the prognostic impact of MRD related parameters on PFS and OS;
- To assess feasibility, toxicity and efficacy (in terms of ORR, PFS and OS) of delivering ASCT after failure of RIT.
Patients aged 18-65 years with follicular lymphoma in first or second relapse, or with refractory disease.
Dimensione del campione
265 patients will be enrolled in order to randomize 210 patients (80%) at the end of the induction phase
Numero di Centri e localizzazione dello Studio
Durata dello Studio
5 years based on the following assumption:
- 3 years of accrual
- 2 years of follow-up after entry of the last patient
Data di inizio dello Studio